When you connect Calxa to your accounting system it links to your general ledger actuals and allows you to create multiple projections of budget data against that general ledger.
See Budgets & Actuals to Select Organisation / Budget / Period / Business Unit as required.
Metrics extends this by allowing you to enter monthly budgets and actuals for any additional ‘metrics’ or values that are not part of your financial accounts. These values can then be used directly in custom KPI formulas and delivered in Calxa reports via these KPIs. Additionally, you can report on the metrics themselves by calling them in a KPI formula.
Whether you are looking to calculate unit costs such as ‘cost per hour’ or ‘cost per activity’, or you are wanting to capture non-financial info like ‘number of customers’ or ‘casual wage hours’, metrics combined with KPIs can help you easily deliver these as part of your monthly management reports.
See this recording for a video demonstration showing how to create Metrics to use in KPI formulas.
Add / Edit Metrics
- To enter or edit metrics, first go to Layout -> Metrics/Month
- Click the Add Metric button to create a new metric.
Note: you can add the metric name at either the Organisation or Business Unit level, however you must enter the metric's budget & actual values at the correct business unit level.
- Type in the Metric name, then choose the Calculation Method. Click Add Metric when done.
Sum - Calculates the sum of all monthly values in the date range provided by the report criteria. Used where values saved in the metric are period movements and the report requires the full period movement.
End - Gets the value saved in the end period, where the end period is determined by the end date in the report criteria. Used when values saved in the metric are already a closing balance.
Note: Because metrics are used directly in KPI formulas the metric names must start with a letter (A-Z) and can only contain letters (A-Z), numbers (0-9) and the apostrophe or space symbol. They must also be unique across all Metrics and KPI Account Groups.
- You can now type values into the total column or monthly cells. Tab and arrow keys may be used for navigation between cells. Enter the metric's budget & actual values at the correct business unit level.
When updating, if you enter a total value the monthly values will be split with the same monthly proportions that existed prior to editing the total. This allows you to edit the total while retaining monthly fluctuations or seasonality.
- Note there is no save button because your data is automatically saved as you enter it.
Reporting with Metrics
If you haven't done so yet, enter metrics Actuals by typing them directly into the metrics grid for the relevant period.
To enter metric actuals, select Actuals from the Budget drop-down list.
Enter Actuals values exactly like you would for a Budget.
Now that you have saved some metric values you can use them in your reports. To do this:
- Create a Custom KPI - refer to the help note KPI Builder. The Account Groups article may also be useful in creating KPIs.
- Run a report or report bundle that includes the custom KPI - refer to the help note Set Report Criteria.
For a description of Calxa's default KPIs, see the KPI Reporting help note.
Rename, Delete and Change Calculation Type on a Metric
- To edit a metric's properties, click on the cog to the left of the metric name.
- To rename a metric, click into the Metric Name field and type in the revised name.
- To change the calculation method of a metric, click the drop down arrow in the Calculation Type box and selected your preferred option.
- To delete a metric, click the trash can button next to the metric name.
A box will pop up asking you to confirm you want to delete the metric. Click Delete Metric to complete.