Step 1 - Sign up
During the trial or purchase wizard you'll connect to your accounting data and review some basic settings.
Sign up for a Trial
Click here for a 30-day free trial.
Refer to this help note for detailed instructions on the sign up process, including how to connect to your accounting file.
Manually Create a Workspace
Use this option if you are a customer with a new donation or discounted licence who did not trial Calxa first.
Step 2 - Set up your Budget
An auto-budget based on last year's actuals is automatically created for you in Step 1 when you sign up for a trial. This auto-budget cannot be edited, however, so you will eventually want to set up your own budget in Calxa.
To set up your budget you have a few options:
- Enter or Edit your budget - use the budget editor to enter figures in a spreadsheet-like view or edit an existing budget.
- Budget Factory - create new budgets, update existing budgets or copy budgets for multiple business units and years all at one time. You can also use it to create a reforecast containing actuals YTD.
- Import your budget from a spreadsheet - handy tool if you already have budgets set up in Excel, have a large number of business units, want to delegate portions of the budget to managers, or have complex formulas best modelled in Excel.
- Import your budget from your accounting system in Step 1. Please note that updates to the budget in your accounting system after this initial connection will not be updated in Calxa, so you will maintain your budget in Calxa going forward.
Step 3 - Run Reports
Calxa has a huge range of reporting features from standard financial statements or actual vs budget to more complex business unit or multiple entity consolidations. Review the links below that apply to your reporting requirements.
- Sync organisation actuals from your accounting system before running reports.
- Select a Report Template. For more help, see Set Report Criteria, Date Selection, Preview a Report.
- Report on Business Units (such as jobs, tracking categories, cost centres, customers/classes/locations).
- Multiple Organisation Consolidation.
- Account Trees to reorder or summarise your chart of accounts for reporting.
- Dashboard review.
Step 4 - Set up Report Bundles
Report bundles help you save time by saving sets of reports and documents into complete management reporting packs. During Step 1 Calxa will have created a sample bundle for you but you'll probably want to edit that or create your own.
- Create a Bundle using a pre-configured kit.
- Edit a Bundle, Add a Document to a Bundle to create cover pages, Executive Summaries and notes, Run a Bundle, Add a Report to a Bundle.
Step 5 - Automate Reports
During Step 1 you may have already chosen to have reports sent to you monthly. In this case you will already have a Workflow configured to sync with your accounting data and send you a sample report bundle.
- Set up a Workflow to automate your reporting. A workflow can update your online accounting file data and generate and deliver report bundles.
More Calxa Features
Get Additional Help & Support
Calxa Help Centre
Our Help Centre includes step-by-step guides on all features, with screenshots and sometimes a quick video. You can get to the Help Centre anytime via the Help & Support link at the bottom left of the online app.
Join a Webinar
Watch a Recording
Go to the Event Recordings section of our Help Centre to view one of our webinar recordings.
Talk to our Support Team
We love talking to our customers. Give us a call, click the Help Me button on any screen in the online app, submit a ticket or email us if you need some help or just want to run something by us. For details see our Contact Us page.
Classroom Training Session
Sign up for classroom training sessions run by our Accredited Partners around Australia. See if there is a course near you.
Find a Partner
Our partners are accounting specialists with in-depth Calxa knowledge. Book their time for a remote session or on-site consultancy. Find a partner in your area.