Workflows allow you to save time by automating tasks such as syncing the organisation data from your accounting system and/or generating and delivering report bundles. You can manually start a workflow or have it automatically triggered at a scheduled time.
Many users will have at least 2 separate workflows: One to sync their organisation data, then a 2nd workflow to sync organisation(s) data, run report bundle(s) and email them out to a distribution list.
- Create a Workflow
- Date Selection for Bundles in Workflows - how does report month work?
- Edit a Workflow
- Schedule a Workflow (Triggers)
- Troubleshooting - what to do if your Workflow Fails
- Delete, Copy and Rename a Workflow
- View Recent Workflow Activity
Create a Workflow
The steps below will outline how to create a workflow in the online app.
- Sign into the Calxa online app.
- Click on the Automation menu at the top of your screen.
- Click on New Workflow.
Click into the area where you see My new workflow and type in a workflow name that you will be able to easily identify in a list.
Click on Add Action to add the first action to be taken in your workflow.
To sync the organisation data from your accounting system, click on the Select an action drop-down and then select Organisation update.
Click on the Select an organisation drop-down that now appears and pick the organisation you would like to update in this workflow. Click Save Action.
If you have multiple organisations to sync, Click Add Action again to add the next one.
- After you have saved the first action in the workflow, click on the Add Workflow button at the top right.
To add an action to run your report bundle click on Add Action again. Note: The Add Action button will open be visible after you have clicked on the Add Workflow button as shown in the step above.Select Generate & send report bundle from the Select an action drop down. Next click on the Select report bundle drop-down and select the bundle you want to run.
Now enter the email address of the users you want to receive the report bundle in the Send to field. User email addresses should be separated by a semi-colon (;). Click Save Action.
Note: You can add actions to sync and run reports on multiple organisations all within one workflow.
Date Selection for Bundles in Workflows
With workflows, there is no place on the Automation screen for you to select the Report Month because workflows are intended to be an automated process done on a schedule.
The key thing to be aware of is that Calxa always considers the report month to be the last FULL month of actuals with workflows, therefore you will need to set the date criteria in your bundled reports accordingly to ensure you get the reports you expect. For example, when an automated workflow runs in late June, the report month when it runs will be May.
- For instance, let's say you want to set up a workflow to run during the current month, like in the case of running reports in mid-June for the month-to-date of June.
The report month when it's run in June will be May in Calxa by default. This is because May is the last full month of actuals available from your accounting system when you run a workflow in June.
What this means for date selection in your month-to-date bundle is that you should set dates based on a report month of the previous month.
For example with the Actual & Budget report, which displays the month and YTD actual vs budget P&L, you would set the Period in the Report Filters to Relative 1 so the report gives you results for the current month.
The report month for the workflow in this example here is May. To get a report showing June month-to-date results, you must ask for the report month + 1 month (May + 1 = June), with a Period of Relative 1.
- On the other hand, if you wanted to run a workflow in mid-June to report on May's month-end results (full month), you would set the Period to Relative 0, just the same as you do when running a single report in the Builder screen.
Edit a Workflow
- On the workflow screen the actions are listed in the order they will be performed when the workflow is triggered. Each action title describes what action will be performed.
To reorder the actions in a workflow, click on the up-down arrows symbol, then drag and drop the action where you want it.
To remove an action from a workflow, click on the ellipsis at the right of the action and select Delete Action.There are also options to Edit and Copy an action available via the ellipsis.
Schedule a Workflow (Triggers)
A workflow can be configured to run automatically on a trigger. A schedule trigger is available currently. Additional conditional triggers will be added later as they are developed. You can also choose to run a workflow manually.
- To configure a workflow to run automatically, click the button next to 'Activate this workflow any time one of the following events occurs'. Then click on Add Trigger.
- To configure a schedule, select the time and days and frequency (monthly or weekly) you would like the workflow to run and click Save Trigger.
Set the 24h time for when you want the workflow to run - Calxa suggests late night or early morning so you can receive your reports in your inbox in the morning. The UTC time should be set to the timezone where you live.
In the example below, the workflow will run on the 10th day of each month at 4:00 am Brisbane time.
In this example the workflow will run every Monday at 2:00 am Brisbane time.
- Note you can set up more than one scheduled trigger. The workflow below will run every Monday, and once a month on the 10th day of the month.
You can also run an automatic workflow manually at any time by clicking the Run Now button at the top right of the workflow screen.
- To choose to only run a workflow manually, click the button next to 'Only activate this workflow manually' in the Triggers section.
The status of the running or completed workflow will be displayed after you click Run Now. Click Refresh to update the status (did not run, running, succeeded, failed).
Delete, Copy and Rename a Workflow
- To delete a workflow click on the ellipsis on the right side of the workflow name, then select Delete workflow.
A box will pop up asking you to confirm you really want to delete the workflow. To confirm and delete the workspace type DELETE in the box shown below, then the click Delete Workflow button.
- To copy a workflow click on the ellipsis on the right side of the workflow name and select Copy workflow.
3. To rename a workflow, click on the ellipsis on the right side of the workflow name and select Rename workflow.
A copy will be made with the same name as the existing workflow with (Copy 1) at the end of the name.
Click into the name field and type the new name, then click on the check mark symbol to save it.
View Recent Workflow Activity
To see recent activity on your workflow, click on the ellipsis on the right side of the workflow name (as shown above) and select View Recent Activity. It will show activity from the current day and can be refreshed to show activity from the last week, the last month or all by selecting the period in the from drop-down.
What to do if your Workflow Fails
When a workflow fails, it will almost always be because the integration to your accounting system has been disconnected. You can resolve this issue by reconnecting to your accounting system.
To reconnect Calxa to your company file please refer to the instructions listed below: